The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is corresponding actively by inputting its diplomatic capabilities with regard to taking about 103 nations’ action as of March 7 afternoon about Korean peoples’ ban & entry limitations into their country, according to MOFAT.
With the outbreak of Coronavirus 19 whose patients surpass over 7,000 peoples as of March 7th afternoon, MOFAT held its briefing for Diplomatic Corps. about Korean government’s corresponding measures on Feb. 25th & March 6th afternoon two times so far so that the Seoul Diplomatic Corps. can deliver government’s efforts to prevent any further Coronavirus 19 spread on the peninsula to their governments.
MOFAT spokesman said that through these briefings held at the end of Feb. & March 6th afternoon respectively, Foreign Ministry asked Ambs. & diplomats who were attending in the Coronavirus 19 briefing, for their governments not to take excessive ban & entry limitations measures for Korean travellers.
MOFAT also explained Korean government’s quarantine measures & its capabilities by holding separate meetings with Japan Amb. Tomita Koji as well as China Amb. XING Haiming in addition to Minister Kang Kyung-hwa’s telephone conversation with Deputy Minister Steven Biegun, US State Department including government’s protection measures for foreigners living in Korea.
Ahead of recent such meetings, MOFAT also held a discussion dinner meeting with EU envoys in relation to new type coronavirus correspodning ways, according to MOFAT.
Minister Kang exchanged government’s plans with EU member countries’ Ambassadors about Korea-EU relations development ways, Green Growth & P4G Summit for the Global Goal 2030 as well as Korean peninsula & Northeast Asia political situations as well.
Sepatately from MOFAT, EU Delegation Seoul said that The European Union has sent tonnes of aid supplies to China, repatriated over 600 EU citizens and announced a new €232 million aid package to tackle the outbreak.
Viruses do not know borders. Two months after the first reported cases of Coronavirus infections in Wuhan (China), the outbreak of the new virus has taken a cross-border dimension that threatens global health security. The EU is working on all fronts to tackle the outbreak and related risks that will only be defeated through international cooperation and solidarity. The European Commission announced a new aid package worth €232 million “to boost global preparedness, prevention and containment of the virus”.
As of 25 February, the number of COVID-19 —the official name given by the World Health Organization (WHO) — cases worldwide exceeds 79.400, with more than 2.600 deaths (almost all of them reported from China). There are some 180 confirmed cases in the EU and the UK, and the experts expect the figures to rise given the rapid spread of the virus in Italy.
Beyond the internal management of the crisis, for which the European Commission is in regular contact with Member States, the EU is leading global efforts to tackle the spread of the virus. The European Commission has taken a big step forward with the announcement of a new €232 million aid package allocated to support the WHO (€114 million), take preventive measures in Africa (€15 million), search for a vaccine and fund other research projects (€100 million), and bear the costs of EU citizens’ repatriation flights from Wuhan (€3 million).